Age: Gran Reserva.
Winery: Bodegas La Rioja Alta
Type of wood and time of passage: The harvest was started by Tempranillo and, 17 days later, the Graciano de Montecillo was collected. Alcoholic fermentation was carried out in deposits for 16 days, in the case of Tempranillo and for 18 days in Graciano. The malolactic fermentation took place naturally and, in March 2013, the selected wines passed into American-made oak barrels with an average age of 4.5 years. During their three-year aging, they were racked by the traditional method every 6 months.
In March 2016, the last coupage was made, mixing both varieties until reaching the magnificent balance that characterizes this first Viña Arana Gran Reserva.
Cherry red color, with garnet edge.
Of high aromatic intensity, the aromas of ripe red fruits, red berries, wild strawberry and black plum jam stand out. The initial freshness and structure prevails in the mouth, typical of this brand.
Balanced, with soft and sweet tannins. An elegant, complex finish, where the notes of ripe red fruits and balsamic leave a splendid finish. A wine with a long capacity to continue improving in the bottle.
Optimum service temperature: 16° C.
A pairing: Hachis parmentier.
Ingredients: 500 gr. of potatoes, 250 gr. minced beef, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 20 ml. of white wine, salt and pepper, nutmeg, 1/2 glass of hot milk, a little butter and grated cheese.
- Peel the potatoes, chop them and put them to cook in water for about 25 minutes.
- While they are cooking, prepare the meat.
- Finely chop the onion and poach it in a pan with a drizzle of oil together with the garlic also chopped. When it is golden add the minced meat to cook it.
- At the mid-point of cooking the meat, add the white wine and cook until the wine evaporates.
- Cook the potatoes, drain and crush them with a blender or by hand. Add the milk and butter, mixing again until you get a creamy set.
- Season and put a pinch of nutmeg.
- In a container suitable for baking, put on the bottom a thick layer of puree and then meat to finish with a thinner layer of puree and enmental cheese grated on top.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown.