Winery: Bodegas Marqués de Vargas.
Tasting note: Cherry color with garnet rims with slight evolution. On the nose, it is very complex, with red and black fruit in season (cherries, plums) wrapped in notes of flowers very typical of Eastern oak (violets), black licorice, cedar and spices (vanilla, black pepper). On the palate, it is silky, with crispy yet noble tannins and excellent acidity. Broad in the step, with a long finish of good persistence. Memories of red fruit and light resins in retronasal.
Optimum service temperature: 16° C.
A pairing: Costilla de ternera con chalotas.
Ingredients: 1 kg. of beef rib in thin strips, 2 onions, 16 shallots, 4 cloves of garlic, 250 gr. of chilli peppers, 150 ml. of red wine, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, a few sprigs of thyme, 1 bay leaf and parsley.
- First we will make an onion sauce: chop 2 cloves of garlic in slices and onions in large cubes.
- Sauté everything in a casserole with a good jet of oil.
- Season and when they are well browned, add the bay leaf, thyme, wine and 200 ml. of water. Let it reduce by half. Remove the laurel and thyme, and pass everything through the puree raisin. Reserve hot.
- Put salt and pepper on the meat and place it in a bowl. Water it with a littel of olive oil.
- Chop the other 2 cloves of garlic finely and add them. Mix well and let marinate for 15 minutes.
- Peel the shallots and place them in a container suitable for the oven. Add salt and pepper and water it with a littel of olive oil, put them in the oven at 190° C. for 30 minutes.
- Spread the pieces of rib on the oven tray (with the garlic) and roast them at 190° C. for 25 minutes.
- Put a little oil to heat in a pan and fry the chilli peppers until golden brown.
- Serve the beef ribs with the fried chilli peppers, the roasted shallots and the onion sauce on one side.