Winery: Bodegas Protos.
Type of wood and time of passage: 18 months in American oak barrels and minimum 24 months more in bottle.
Tasting note: Cherry color with purple trim, medium-high layer. On the nose, it retains quite a fruity character, although the tertiary aromas dominate: cocoa, toasted, vanilla. On the palate, it has a soft entry, a velvety step, thanks to its sweet and dull tannins. It is almost a sweet tooth, again for that fruit weight, very well balanced with acidity. A very varietal wine with a "very Ribera" profile.
Optimum service temperature: 14° C.
A pairing: Medallones de venado.
Ingredients: 1,500 gr. of deer sirloin, 12 prunes without bone, 1 sprig of thyme, 350 ml. of beef broth, a pinch of salt and pepper, ¼ spoon of ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon of ground clove, 125 ml. of red wine (Protos Rva.), 50 gr. of butter, 1 chopped onion and 1 clove of chopped garlic.
- Mix the red wine, the plums, the thyme and the broth and bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Remove, cover and reserve.
- Cut the sirloin into medallions. Mix the salt, pepper, cinnamon and cloves and sprinkle over the meat.
- Melt the butter over medium-high heat and cook the medallions for 4 minutes on each side. Remove them from the pan and reserve them hot.
- In the same skillet sauté the onion and garlic, without taking color and add the wine mixture.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and reduce the liquid in half. Serve the medallions washed with the sauce.