Winery: Bodegas Áster
Tasting notes for Red Wine Áster Finca el Otero 2016:
Cherry red with a high layer and ruby rim.
Predominance of aromas of ripe black fruit wrapped in balsamic and spicy notes, with subtle toasted memories, toffee and coffee.
Powerful, with excellent tannic structure and good acidity, with crispy tannins that will soften in the bottle. End marked by the mineralized and the memories of black licorice.
Optimum service temperature: 16° C.
A pairing: Cassoulet.
Ingredients: 300 gr. of dried white beans soaked on the eve, 140 gr. of smoked bacon without crust and in large pieces, 4 cloves of garlic, 1 sprig of parsley, fresh thyme and a bay leaf, allspice, salt, 8 pork sausages, 4 pieces of goose confit or dish, 400 gr. of boneless shoulder of pork and cut into pieces of about 5 cm., chicken broth, 200 gr. of bread from the previous day crumbled and mixed with 8 tablespoons of finely chopped parsley.
- Put the beans in a thick base pan, cover with water, and boil over high heat for 10 minutes and drain.
- Put them back in the clean pan and bring them to a boil, lower the heat to a minimum and froth the surface until it is clear.
- Add the bacon, garlic, herbs and pepper. When bubbles begin to form on the edges, cover halfway and simmer 1 hour or 1 hour and a half.
- When the beans are almost done, transfer them to a large bowl, discard the herbs and reserve the broth.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to the maximum and roast the sausages, turning them several times.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of confit fat in a pot over medium-high heat and sauté the pieces of meat until golden brown and set aside.
- Put half the beans in a large casserole and add the sausages, confit and meat. Season to taste and cover with the rest of the beans.
- Pour the cooking liquid, adding the broth. Sprinkle with half the bread.
- Cook 3 hours in the oven preheated to 150° C., without covering, pressing the bread so that it is impregnated with liquid every hour.
- Sprinkle the rest of the bread and cook until a golden crust forms.